Do you have a glut of Mangoes? (A common problem in the Northern Rivers from time to time). Well this recipe is perfect for getting rid of them. You need firm, slightly green mangoes for this recipe. If you use ripe mangoes you will end up with a runny chutney.
Dietary Requirements: vegan
Cooking Method: stew, boil
Course: jams and preserves
Local Ingredient: mangoes
Recipe Provided By: Jillian Adams, North Coast Area Health Service
- 7 large green mangoes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1 red chilli finely chopped and seeds removed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 5cm ginger, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- Peel and chop mangoes into small cubes.
- Put all the ingredients in a steel preserving pan and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 1.5 hours when the mix should be about half the volume. When it is ready, you should be able to scrape a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan and leave a clean line.
- Ladle into warm, sterilised jars.
- Cover with waxed paper discs and seal when cool