Whole poppy seeds are widely used as a spice and decoration in and on top of many baked goods. They are used in and on many food items such as muffins, cakes and bagels. Buns and soft white bread pastries often have black and white poppy seeds sprinkled on top of them. This particular cake has carrots hidden in it to make it moist.
Dietary Requirements: vegetarian child-friendly
Cooking Method: bake
Local Ingredient: oranges carrots
Recipe Provided By: Jillian Adams, North Coast Area Health Service
- 1.4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 125 g butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- Frosting (optional)
- 30 g butter or margarine
- 60 g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- Soak poppy seeds in milk for 30 minutes.
- Cream butter, orange rind and sugar and add eggs.
- Stir in carrots, flour and poppy seed mix.
- Bake 1.5 hours at 180 degrees Celsius in a tin lined with baking paper.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Frost with a cream cheese frosting if desired or eat it plain.
- Frosting Beat butter with cream cheese, add vanilla and icing sugar and beat until smooth.