Future Feeders is a new initiative that provides a supporting bridge for young people eager to move into careers in ecological food production. It’s all about local food security, small-scale farm management and sustainable agricultural skills development.
It will gather young people committed to feeding our community to be participating owner/members of a food production co-operative to foster an enterprise that acknowledges the power of the collective unity and ideas of the next generation of food producers.
Future Feeders looks to combat the imminent issues of an ageing farmer population in the Northern Rivers by:
- establishing a skilled labor force in sustainable agriculture for our region;
- building working relationships with aging farmers to enable them to continue to develop production; and
- improving the long term food security of our region by ensuring we have a resources, access to land and skilled labour for the future of our food supply.
It also aims to:
- increase primary production in our region;
- increase the consumption of local and sustainable food in our Community;
- develop opportunities to manage local resources which are currently underutilized in the region; and
- establish the Byron Shire as an essential food producing region for our growing and hungry urban neighbours in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
So far the project has established space at the Mullumbimby Community Garden to develop a Community Farm market garden and has also taken responsibility for the regeneration and expansion a local abandoned Banana plantation.
Keen to be involved?
Please contact Project Manager Joel Orchard on: 0424 73 8899 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org